Guest Post By Laquita....
Happy birthday to our friend Hilary who is serving abroad in Thailand!!
GIG ‘EM!!! That is my message for today! I love the number of Aggie
shirts wandering around this place on a daily basis. They are a few
other colleges represented amongst the children (ACU, Iowa, and some
college in California), but everyday I am reminded of home as I see a
staff member or student trotting up to me for a hug and representing
the maroon and white! MITS is all about bleeding maroon, and I’ve
also met a fair number of Aggies fans around town, which is surprising
to me since I didn’t expect people to even know what Texas A&M was. I
guess they do wear our clothes though and also hear/watch our music,
news, movies, etc… The reason I am bringing this up now though is
because we discussed potential MITS visitors to come next year in the
staff meeting this morning. Each visitor must be approved before they
can volunteer for MITS. It was weird to think that a year or so ago
they sat around discussing whether two girls named Laquita and Jessica
could come and if they had anything to offer the program here (Except
they still have our names wrong on the schedule for this year- my last
name is Anderson and Jessica is written as “April Cooper”; It also
says we are leaving Jan 1 so hopefully they wont mind that we’re
staying a few months after that).
Anyways, there are quite a few groups wanting to come, and while
they were all approved in the end, they approved people in order of
importance. Asking whom they must accept, a long-time visiting couple
was the first group to be mentioned since they already purchased their
tickets for March, but next up was the Aggies For Christ in May/June
(by the way, I decided I’ll probably just come back to America with
this group). The staff agreed that AFC must be allowed to come since
they are Aggies and have partnered with and helped MITS out so much
over the years. WHOOP!! I love it! Aggies are viewed and treated
with great respect here, and I am proud to be associated with such an
awesome group of people. The Coulstons even commented, “Just like an
Aggie!” to me upon their arrival in Kenya when they called to check on
me and I told them I was fine and wouldn’t be needing anything special
from them or the American store where they were currently shopping.
Never fear my fellow Ags, Jess and I will continue to do our best to
uphold and strengthen this already strong reputation.
I must go now as the girls are ready for Jess and I to read to them.
I’m glad she’s here now; I never realized just how hard it is to read
aloud. Now, we can switch off when we get tired. I also never
realized how many words I skip over when I read to myself. I’ve read
the book (Francine River’s Unveiled: Tamar from her lineage of grace
series) before, and I didn’t remember it being a hard read. However,
Jess and I both keep running into unfamiliar words as we share the
story with them. They keep asking us to read, so I guess they like
it.
No comments:
Post a Comment