So much for sleeping in…we all woke up before 8am. This gave us a chance to go into town bright and early though. The marketplace is similar to Nairobi in terms of its set up. It’s much less crowded though, and there’s more space to move around between the booths. For the record, I am not a fan, nor will I ever be a fan, of the smell of warm raw meat. After finishing up some errands, we went to the coffee shop for lunch. Things are so much cheaper here, and we are big fans! Plus, the conversion rate is easy to calculate here. 2000 Ugandan shillings is one dollar; whereas, 78 Kenyan shillings is one dollar. I don’t think I’ve actually mentioned prices in Africa except for maybe the first week when I thought things were cheap. I have since discovered that is not the case. Certain things are cheap, but most things in Kenya cost the same as they do in the states if not more. Here, in Uganda, you can buy a necklace for a dollar, which is not very cheap compared to Thailand and what not, but that’s much better than the five dollars they ask for in Nairobi.
After lunch, we were joined by a British girl named Tiffany. She and Natalie are good friends, but she’s never gotten to see Natalie’s work since she is always working herself as a coordinator for a large program here in Mbale. Thus, we all rode with Natalie out to see Luwanda Children’s Home (she is the program coordinator there). http://www.natalierolfe.blogspot.com/

There are ninety kids in the orphanage, which also just opened as an official school this past year for other nearby children. It was so spacious, and the children were incredibly sweet.

Each one of us was holding two small hands within minutes of our arrival as the girls toured us around their place.

When we were finished touring, we played Capture the Flag (one of my favorite games by far), and it was a blast!

Our day at the children’s home was completed with some ice-cold water (purified of course) and one of Uganda’s famous bananas.
No comments:
Post a Comment