We spent the past week at Mombasa and Malindi- on the coast of Kenya. The entire staff and all the students go to Mombasa right before Christmas as part of the end of school year celebration. It was fun but a little tiring and very very HOT! After arriving back at Kamulu, I slept eleven straight hours and would have slept more if I was allowed to because I don't think I every really slept on this vacation due to the heat.
Cecily, Dusty, Laquita, and I took the old train from Nairobi to Mombasa. This used to be the top notch classy way to travel but I don't think it quite fits that description any more. We did however get to watch some of the movie "Ghost of Darkness" on Dusty's computer while riding the railway that this movie is based off of (Its the one with Val Kilmer where the Lions eat everyone). The train takes about fourteen hours but its nice since you can look out your window as you pass villages with huts and little naked children running out to wave to all the passengers. If it wasn't so dark we probably could have seen a lion but all I saw was a baboon in the far distance for a few seconds before disappearing.
We camped for three days with the MITS staff. I think living in Africa is already like camping so you can just imagine what actual "camping" is like out here. Then we spent one day in Malindi- north of Mombasa and spent the next two nights at a hostel called the Beach where I'm pretty sure you can get all the free marijuana you want. But the owner is friendly and the rooms were pretty cheap so we didn't complain. We also got to eat squid, octupus, and fresh lobster which we're pretty sure you order first and then they swim out and catch it for you.
I don't have any pictures but our professional Cecily took a lot so I will add them ASAP!...
No comments:
Post a Comment